Friday, February 17, 2012

My Collection #2 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Next up is number 208 on my list, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Man oh man this was a trip down memory lane. This movie came out when I was 5 years old, and boy was I a Turtles fan. I would say Turtles were my first major obsession. I had all the action figures, their Van, and even the Technodome playset. So naturally this movie was one of my favorites as a child, I remember as a kid watching it and being amazed that the Turtles were REAL!!

I watch this movie and I am just dragged right back into the simpler times in the early 90's. Power Rangers had not hit it yet so TMNT were my life. I was always a huge fan of Casey Jones in the Cartoon so the fact he was in this was a thing that always made me happy.

This movie does really stand the test of time. Sometimes movies that were so cool when you are a boy, turn out to be not that great when you see them later. Not at all the case with this; the special effects are great, the actors do a pretty good job (considering it is not oscar material to start), the story is very well written, the character development is pretty rad with Danny, and the Turtles as they basically are forced to grow up quick.

The one-liners and humor in this movie are amazing. That really goes to show the strongest point of this movie, and that is, though the story is darker than the cartoons, this movie doesn't take itself too seriously. This movie is able to deal with the conflict between the brothers, and even Danny and his Dad, and even tackles dealing with loss, and even the teenage feelings of alienation (for the Turtles and the Foot clan kids), but never do these things force this movie into a realm of not being fun. The humor is slapstick, puns, and even some more adult humor mixed in.

As a kid I always loved Raphael, I loved his attitude and his anger. This movie goes into that, and specifically how this effects his relationship with his brothers, especially Leonardo. I always felt that if you had to pick a main character it would be Raph for this movie.

I would give this movie a 7 out of 10. Because I dare you to watch this and not enjoy it.

 Quote I love from this movie
"Wise man say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

No comments:

Post a Comment